Rainbow Center is seeking a Community Support Advocate.
Rainbow Center is a proudly queer, anti-racist, affirmative action employer. Our commitment is to provide and sustain an inclusive and diverse work environment that reflects the community we serve. All employment decisions at Rainbow Center are based on community needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. LGBTQ people, people of color, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to apply.
Community Support Advocate
Rainbow Center is currently hiring a Community Support Advocate (CSA) to be the initial point of contact for community members in need and services. The CSA provides front line screening and resource access to ensure victims of crime get services as quickly as possible, building trust and rapport from the start. The CSA will endeavor to meet some of their short-term needs, schedule follow-up, and set them on the path to long-term help.
Scope of Work
The Community Support Advocate is responsible for the following:
• Be an on-site resource for community members, including victims of crime, Monday through Friday, 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
• Ensure that community members feel welcomed and their needs are attended to in a respectful and professional manner.
• Answer phones and assist drop-in visitors, letting people know about crime victim services and providing resources and referrals as needed.
• Successfully complete initial training to certify as an OCVA advocate, and engage in continuing education as the position requires.
• Assist with confidential intakes for victims of crime and others seeking advocacy services.
• Assist victims of crime with meeting short-term needs (such as transportation, emergency financial assistance and referrals) and help them schedule follow-up appointments and longer-term assistance.
• Ensure the facility is ready for use by maintaining clean, well-stocked communal spaces.
• Create and oversee posters, program info and other community resource materials so all constituents have ready access to clearly stated information.
• Other duties as assigned and needed, including collecting and inputting data, assisting with documentation, filing, inventory and space organization.
The Community Support Advocate is also responsible for the following activities directed related to the general operation of RC:
• As part of RC staff team, model and maintain a safe and respectful environment during center community hours and ensure that all feel welcomed and cared for and follow established rules and boundaries.
• Respond to inquiries, phone calls, and e-mail in a timely and responsive manner.
• Participate in various activities and meetings, including weekly staff meetings.
• Provide staff support and attend Tacoma Pride Festival and the Black & White Gayla.
• Associate’s Degree in Human Services, Business, or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated experience, ability and desire to work and identify with LGBTQ community of varying socioeconomic classes, identities, and racial/ethnic backgrounds.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Comfortable regularly performing a variety of light to medium cleaning activities.
• Ability to work as a team member and work independently with limited supervision.
• Able to pass a Washington State Patrol background check.
• Proficiency using email and computer programs such as Word, Excel and databases.
• Experience in office and/or clerical administration.
• Working knowledge of one of the six most commonly used languages in Pierce County (Spanish, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, German, or Russian.)
Hours of Work
Monday through Friday from 12:00pm to 5:00pm. Schedule may be adjusted +/- 30 minutes if needed.
Salary & Benefits
Starting pay $19 per hour, depending on applicable experience. Benefits include paid holidays and paid time off. Work environment that promotes self-care and collaboration.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Mail to: Rainbow Center 2215 Pacific Ave. Tacoma, WA 98402
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Community Support Advocate Position”
To ensure consideration, provide both a Cover Letter and Resume. Submissions without both items will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted and only applicants with the required qualifications will be contacted for follow up. Position will remain open until filled.
Candidates for employment at Rainbow Center (RC) should be aware that this is a unique work environment in which topics of sexuality, sexual orientation, and gender identity are an integral part of our day to day community interactions. Individuals who are uncomfortable with such topics, discussions, and the occasional related graphic representations may choose not to work at RC.